My artistic practice is rooted in documentary filmmaking and takes an (auto-)ethnographic approach to analyzing Western culture, predominantly through film, video and analogue photography. I appear as a participating observer and include my own mechanisms and modes of action or inaction, and deal directly with my environment and, more specifically, with the culture of the privileged middle class that dominates wider society. In this regard, I shift my gaze to highlight structures of taste that maintain the status quo in subtle but no less violent ways. I am particularly interested at present in a demographic shift from gentrified city centres to the countryside and its implications, as well as engaging with the notion of non-places and the non-descript as a liberating force.
"The greatest and most damning intellectual and political failure of the Left may be the failure to recognize cultural capital not only as a socially effective form of power but also as a form of domination, not only substantively, in its particular forms, but also structurally and relationally, in its distributions and through the social differences and hierarchies that it articulates and performs. While the myopic focus on the 1 % may be effective symbolically, it not only lets the remaining 99% off the hook but also reduces social power to economic wealth lodged in a single, one-dimensional dominant class." Andrea Fraser